Re: [hylafax-users] how to set calling party number ?

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:45:29PM +0100, Markus Storm wrote:
>
>>>What is CLID in terms of H323, anyway?  Normally it is provided by the
>>>telco.
>>
>>Well, not exactly. H.323 is very close to a digital line (ISDN).
>>There's an IE (Information Element) called Calling-Party-Number that an
>>ISDN user's device can set. The telco can verify it (and override if
>>necessary), but the end user device must set it.
>

> *This* depends *entirely* on the switch and the generic which is loaded
> into that switch.  Some verify, some just let you set it to anything
> you want (though they're really not supposed to...), but I hadn't heard
> that you were required to set it.  Myabe that's aan H.323 superset
> thing.

Ok, I wasn't precise. The end device *may* set it and the switch *may*
override it (or must, if the number is wrong - though you're right, some
switches nevertheless pass it on). ISDN and H.323 don't differ here.
But since the switch cannot know the full CLID (see below), we *must*
set it if we want it to be seen as the call originator.

>>Imagine you have a PBX that has the base number 1234 and 10 telephones
>>attached.
>>The telco can check whether the CLID the PBX sends out matches 1234X but
>>it cannot check if X should be 1, 2 or 9 because it only sees the call
>>coming from the PBX. Only the PBX knows which telephone the call came
>>from, so only the PBX can set the full CLID (including X).
>

> And in that case (USAdian Direct Outward Dialling), the switch should
> have a validation range (and a default) in it's datafill for the trunk
> group.

Markus