Re: [hylafax-users] Using or avoiding FaxGetty

On 2002.10.24 22:35 Shane Wegner wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am a new user of HylaFax and thus far have found it to be
> quite useful.  However, in all the documentation and faqs I
> have read, it seems you have to run faxgetty in order to
> take an incoming call.

That is correct.  faxgetty does not need to *answer* the call, but it
does need to be running.

> The problem I am having is that I already have an
> application which among other things, does VoiceMail,
> callerid recognition and screening.  I need a way for that
> program to somehow hand over control to Hylafax.  I looked
> at faxanswer which is pretty much exactly what I need but
> faxanswer seems to require faxgetty and faxgetty wants to
> poll and read the modem even before it gets a faxanswer
> request.

The problem is that faxgetty needs to initialize the modem - currently
there's no way to invoke faxgetty and tell it that it shouldn't
initialize the modem because it's already in a "suitable" state.  Such
a feature would be great for both faxgetty and faxsend to have to
reduce time between outbound bulk jobs.  Unfortunately, in working with
vgetty or some other program which normally handles the modem, is that
program capable of passing the modem to faxgetty in a state that is
"suitable" for faxgetty to simply issue ATA and have everything work
correctly?  Not likely.

Anyway, the point is, the features don't exist currently, and
implementing them could get rather complicated.

Currently the only way to have HylaFAX receive faxes on a line that
will also receive non-fax calls will be to have *faxgetty* answer all
incoming calls and direct non-fax calls to the appropriate non-HylaFAX
program.

> The only thing I can think to do is to have my frontend
> program actually start faxgetty at the correct time, run
> faxanswer and tare it all down once a fax is received.

This may work... but realize that as faxgetty starts it will initialize
the modem which could very well cause the call to be lost *AND* you
then have to call faxanswer as there will be no RINGs for faxgetty to
hear.

> Does anyone know of an easier way to do this?

Turn it around and have faxgetty answer all incoming calls.

Lee.