[hylafax-users] USR PCI Modems

Hello,

I seem to be having difficulty with U.S. Robotics 56K PCI (model #5610b)
modems. They seem to any number or combination of the following:

- hanging
- wedging
- listening to rings according to faxstat, but not picking up the line
- inconsistent number of rings before picking up (anywhere from 2-6 rings
even though config files are set for 1 ring)
- compatibility issues (transfer, timeout, null/corrupt content) with faxes
that seemingly worked with the old faxmachine.

Everything except the compatibility issues clear up on a hard boot.
According to someone onsite the modem that was listening to rings and not
picking up began working properly after unplugging and re-plugging the
physical wire.

I think the longest amount of time the machine has gone unhindered is about
3 days. Whereas I have another machine with an old isa 9600 baud modem I
found in the trash running on an underclocked p120 that has an uptime of
years and handled 10's of thousands of faxes.

I'm just curious if others have seen this behavior, had any luck overcoming
it, or could recommend a decent PCI (no isa slots on the motherboard) based
modem with an onboard controller and DSP compatible with FreeBSD, as I am
not impressed with the USR's right now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--
Openface Internet Inc.                              Blair McKay
Montreal, Canada                                    bawb@openface.ca