[hylafax-users] HylaFAX replaces Winfax...Yeah!!!

New to this list.

Just finished setting up my HylaFAX server on Mandrake's 8.1 distro.
	(WinFAX by the way is a horrible business solution)

The www.hylfax.org page sure could use some updates.
(Not to demean the wonderful efforts of Sam Leffler, Matthias Apitz or
others in the team)

Obvious little stuff like:
faxlp:\
     :lp=/dev/null:\
     :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\  <-----  make sure this is your dir.
Mandrake directories are at /var/spool  (guess that's a given)

Also, to print incoming faxes automatically:
----snip--------
	$TIFFBIN/fax2ps $1 | lpr -Plp	<-----------Need a space here -P
lp
CUPS will interfere here if installed...I put lpr-lpd -P lp

From http://www.hylafax.org/howto/clients/sambafax
-----snip------
   echo "sendfax -n -D -f ${MailTo} -d ${FAXNUM} ${FAXFILE}" >/tmp/effe
Great way to create an output file with no faxing!
I later had to replace this line with faxspool anyway.

Here were my most interesting problems:
Sendfax has a couple of different versions... one in /usr/bin and
/usr/sbin.
   (Also had two different versions of faxq...got rid of the sbin
versions.)
faxspool is needed in sambafax script instead of sendfax;
	( sendfax won't work because you need to convert to g3 format. )
      ( sendfax also changes modem device permissions on job
submission.)
	I get "sendfax: cannot access fax device(s) (locked?)
	Think /var/spool/fax/etc/config.tty* has settings to fix this.
faxrunqd needs to be run. (Need perl installed)
	(thought faxq was suppose to do this automatically?)
faxstat becomes useless because I'm using faxspool.
      (there is some confusion here about HylaFAX's use of the spool
system)
	(faxq replaces the use of faxstat)

Others:
Cypheus freezes in Windows 2000 on send.
WHFC is wrong language despite English install...I think there is a way
to change dll for English manually.

Anyway, I must have gotten over zealous.
Installing HylaFAX-server and HylaFAX-client and mgetty+sendfax and CUPS
can make your install a bit more confusing.
I looked back at the files of these packages and found two different
versions of sendfax and faxq which causes all kinds of complications.

If its ok to do so I'll blither on in some other emails.
I have a great schematic created in Visio on HylaFAX.

If any of this is inappropriate, please just let me know tactfully.
I'd like to send the picture to the list.
Comments appreciated.

Take Care;
Kevin