Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX replaces Winfax...Yeah!!!

At 10:34 AM 11/26/01 -0700, Kevin Dawson wrote:
>New to this list.
>
>Just finished setting up my HylaFAX server on Mandrake's 8.1 distro.
>	(WinFAX by the way is a horrible business solution)

<prejudice>Anything but HylaFAX for faxing is a horrible business
solution.</prejudice>

>The www.hylfax.org page sure could use some updates.
>(Not to demean the wonderful efforts of Sam Leffler, Matthias Apitz or
>others in the team)

Just to clarify... Sam and Matthias never were part of hylafax.org, but
they rightly deserve much credit, anyway.

>Obvious little stuff like:
>faxlp:\
>     :lp=/dev/null:\
>     :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\  <-----  make sure this is your dir.
>Mandrake directories are at /var/spool  (guess that's a given)

Well, every user needs to be cautious that paths and such match their
system.  Every system can be configured differently, so it's impossible to
make the website suit everyone's systems.

>Also, to print incoming faxes automatically:
>----snip--------
>	$TIFFBIN/fax2ps $1 | lpr -Plp	<-----------Need a space here -P
>lp
>CUPS will interfere here if installed...I put lpr-lpd -P lp

Can someone confirm this?  I will make the change, if appropriate.

>>From http://www.hylafax.org/howto/clients/sambafax
>-----snip------
>   echo "sendfax -n -D -f ${MailTo} -d ${FAXNUM} ${FAXFILE}" >/tmp/effe
>Great way to create an output file with no faxing!
>I later had to replace this line with faxspool anyway.

Others seem to have been using this just fine as it is.

>Here were my most interesting problems:
>Sendfax has a couple of different versions... one in /usr/bin and
>/usr/sbin.

Well, you're not supposed to have both mgetty+sendfax and HylaFAX on the
same system.  They conflict.

>   (Also had two different versions of faxq...got rid of the sbin
>versions.)

Ibid.

>faxspool is needed in sambafax script instead of sendfax;
>	( sendfax won't work because you need to convert to g3 format. )
>      ( sendfax also changes modem device permissions on job
>submission.)

Ibid.

>	I get "sendfax: cannot access fax device(s) (locked?)
>	Think /var/spool/fax/etc/config.tty* has settings to fix this.
>faxrunqd needs to be run. (Need perl installed)
>	(thought faxq was suppose to do this automatically?)

Ibid.

>faxstat becomes useless because I'm using faxspool.
>      (there is some confusion here about HylaFAX's use of the spool
>system)
>	(faxq replaces the use of faxstat)

Ibid.

>Others:
>Cypheus freezes in Windows 2000 on send.
>WHFC is wrong language despite English install...I think there is a way
>to change dll for English manually.
>
>Anyway, I must have gotten over zealous.
>Installing HylaFAX-server and HylaFAX-client and mgetty+sendfax and CUPS
>can make your install a bit more confusing.

Bingo!

>I looked back at the files of these packages and found two different
>versions of sendfax and faxq which causes all kinds of complications.

The light shines forth.

Lee.