Re: [hylafax-users] Multiport modem card recommendation

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 11:53:47AM -0700 or thereabouts, Mark Villanova wrote:
> I need a recommendation on Comtrol or similar multiport card.  Also any
> recommendations on PCI hardware modems.  My superiors want real world
> recommendations from people who are using the cards.  What cards do you
> guys use and what has been your experience?  Ease of installation,
> Failure rate, etc...  Please include number of faxes received daily.  I
> am looking at the potential for some serious volume on this box and I
> need reliability.  Your info will help me to sell the boss on this
> solution which I believe in wholeheartedly.  Please reply off-list and
> anyone who is interested in the summary I compile let me know and I will
> forward it to you.

Hello Mark.

In June this year, we put in place a faxserver with the following hardware
specs:

1.0 Ghz P3
512 Mb SDRAM

3 18.0 Gb IBM 10,000 RPM Drives connected to an AMI Megaraid controller

We use a 32 port pci Comtrol Rocketport multiport serial card connected to
the comtrol external interfaces split out to 2, 16 modem racks of Boca
28.8 modems.

We bought the modems used, and have had 0 failure rate on them, (which has
been very nice)

The Rocketport card was a total no brainer setup. It literally took longer
to connect all the cables (be sure to use -high quality- IEEE rated serial
cables) than it did to set up the card in linux.

There has been 0 downtime due to hardware problems or software. It took us
roughly 2 hours to set up and test our hylafax configuration with
approximately 1 hour combined through the last 3 months of maintaince.

I work for a financial services company that recieves around 1000 - 1500
pages of fax per day. We transmit around 750 - 1000 pages per day, and will be
doubling that by the middle of this month as we activate more services for
several of our clients.

The quality of support I have recieved through the people on this mail
list has been better than 95% of the service vendors I deal with.

If you or your boss want to speak with us to ask any questions or get some
input on our experience with the hardware or software, don't hesitate to
call either me, Will LaShell, or my supervisor Trevor Mantle at the
following number:  800-635-6454 or 480-967-7530

Sincerely

Will LaShell
Lead developer
Outsource Financial Services

"Doh.. STUPID STUPID STUPID"

--an excerpt taken from every developers cvs
  commit message at some point