[hylafax-users] Pointer to Class1 vs. Class2 discussion?

I recently read a message on this list that references a previous
discussion on the relative merits of Clas1 and Class2 protocols.  I've
looked through the list but I can't find that discussion.  Can someone
point me to the approximate date when this discussion took place?

Apparently the consensus is that Class1 is the preferred protocol.  To me
this is counter-intuitive, because the Class2 protocol provides hardware
support for functions that must otherwise be performed in software (by the
host CPU) using Class1.  I would like to understand why, given a device
that supports both classes, I should prefer the older protocol.

Thanks.