Re: [hylafax-users] job group rules

At 05:40 PM 8/27/01 -0400, Christopher Curtis wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a situation in which jobs submitted as a single group (ie, with
>multiple -d parameters) must be sent sequentially, but not limited to a
>single modem.
>
>For instance, say I have two modems and three 'broadcast fax' jobs, each
>submitted as its own group.  I need each group to be sent so that no two
>faxes from the same group are sent at the same time, but I don't want to
>arbitrarily limit any particular group to any particular modem in case
>something dumb happens (like two 100+ fax entries get assigned to the same
>modem while one 3 fax list is assigned to the other).
>
>Is there a way to say 'send this group exclusive of itself', while still
>mainting a full modem pool sending other groups, or sitting idle as
>necessary?

Maybe it's me, but this is very confusing.  Mostly because "group" in
HylaFAX refers to a set of modems, and not a set of jobs.

From what I understand you basically want multiple fax broadcasts to occur
simultaneously over multiple modems, distributing individual fax jobs
equally over the modem pool such that no modem is left idle and no two
modems transmit the same broadcast at the same time.

Frankly, this last timing constraint really isn't possible, without
providing for known modem idle times so that slow jobs have time to catch
up.  If idle time is minimized, then eventually the synchronization of jobs
is lost, and you can conceivably have the two modems send the same
broadcast at the same time (to different destinations, of course).

And, from what else I understand, the process seems a bit too complex to be
realistic.

What is it that you're really trying to accomplish?

Lee.