Re: [hylafax-users] [soleil] Fax Gateway with Exim

* Jay R. Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> [20010710 16:22]: writing on the subject 'Re: [hylafax-users] [soleil] Fax Gateway with Exim'
Jay> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:45:00AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
Jay> > In my situation, I'd like to setup multiple servers located at
Jay> > different sites and I only want each server to send faxes to local
Jay> > numbers. So what I am looking for is something like this.
Jay>
Jay> "Network" Least Cost Routing.
Jay>
Jay> I'm not sure you can do that withot external mangling.
Jay>
Jay> > Since all users use smtp.wananchi.com as their SMTP server, I
Jay> > would like to configure this box to know that mail addressed to
Jay> > fax-123456@fax1.wananchi.com is a local mail, strip out the number
Jay> > 123456 from the address and invoke faxmail.
Jay>
Jay> You could probably do that, yes.

I already have transport and a director for Exim to handle this. Having it
in several servers is just simply duplicating the configure file (aka
exim.conf for Linux), but the nightmares are:

1. Accounting
2. Restricting the phone numbers to 'local only.
3. Notification.

It is interesting, howwever, to note the strange behaviour of HylaFAX,
same version on two systems running same version of FreeBSD, same kernel
same configs ;-)

Compare [1] and [2] below.
Why the diff in the output of faxstat -sd (not the queued job)

[1]
alligator# uname -a

FreeBSD alligator.wananchi.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #10: Fri Jun
29 13:11:12 EAT 2001 root@alligator.wananchi.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Kern4.x  i386

alligator# faxstat -sd
HylaFAX scheduler on alligator.wananchi.com: Running

JID  Pri S  Owner Number       Pages Dials     TTS Status
1    127 W   uucp 313922        0:0   0:12
alligator#
[/1]

[2]
wash:~$ uname -a

FreeBSD everest.wananchi.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #6: Thu Jun 21
14:08:43 EAT 2001 root@everest.wananchi.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Kern4.x i386

wash:~$ faxstat -sd

HylaFAX scheduler on everest.wananchi.com: Running
Modem cuaa0 (254.2.340031): Waiting for modem to come ready

WHY is one reporting modem status and the other onw NOT???

Jay> > On the very top of all this,
Jay> > 1. it would be a nice idea to have my own custom coverpage sent
Jay> > with the faxes,

Since I am calling faxmail -d $some_args I guess you have an idea or two
about notification? ;-)

Jay> > 2. I'll love to have accounting details processed.

Is it true that noone in this list accounts for faxes that his servers
churn out??

Jay> > I've been running a cell for TPC style faxing and it sends usage
Jay> > reports. I know it it's possible to setup billing with the TPC
Jay> > configuration but I'd also love to have the same in this setup.
Jay> >
Jay> > I was just about to say "TPC", and you beat me to it.  Can't you steal
Jay> > *its* solutions to these problems?  I'm not intimately familiar with
Jay> > them, but they sound at least roughly compatible with what you're trying
Jay> > to do...
Jay> >
Jay> >Cheers,
Jay> --

Ooops! That spells some misery for me! I was hoping that someone on this
list does what I want to do and so there is no need reinventing the wheel.
Am I the pioneer in this?? I don't think so, or FreeBSD is the issue here?

TIA

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot
read them.
-Mark Twain

PGP signature