[hylafax-users] help needed getting number of busy retries to "stick"

Hi All,

I've got Hylafax installed and working, but the default busy retries aren't
sufficient for some of the faxes we need to get out... I've tried following
the instructions in the FAQ, but nothing I do seems to change the defaults
from 12 for number of retries... the FAQ is rather misleading in that it
doesn't say whether the S1 should actually be in the line or not, so I went
ahead and put it in both ways!

Here is my /var/log/fax/etc/config relevant lines:

MaxDials:			13
MaxTries:			13
JobReqBusy:			3600
MaxDialsS1:			15
MaxTriesS1:			15
JobReqBusyS1:			3600

and here is /var/log/fax/etc/config.ttyS0 lines:

MaxDials:			14
MaxTries:			14
JobReqBusy:			3600
MaxDialsS1:			16
MaxTriesS1:			16
JobReqBusyS1:			3600

I've restarted hylafax, I've even killed the faxgetty (which caused a fax
to be lost from the queue by the way -- don't do this at home.) And I've
submitted plenty of new faxes...

And yet I still get:

[root@sysadmin etc]# faxstat -s
HylaFAX scheduler on sysadmin.xxxxxxxxxx.net: Running
Modem ttyS0 (+1.xxx.xxx.xxxx): Running and idle

JID  Pri S  Owner Number       Pages Dials     TTS Status
52   126 S   root 1xxxxxxxxxx   0:1   1:12   15:40 Busy signal detected
                                        ^

                                  Still only twelve dials

I know I'm in the right directory because xferfaxlog is being updated, and
when I accidentally didn't put a colon in the line, hylafax complained in
the syslog.

So what gives?  Kudos to the hylafax team for a product that works great out
of the box.  The downside though is that decent well-written documentation
for how to actually change things seems a bit harder to find than I would
expect.

Thanks in advance for any help,

David