Re: [hylafax-users] faxstate

At 11:20 AM 6/26/01 +0200, Gregor Fajdiga wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 01:45:15 -0600
>Lee Howard <faxguy@deanox.com> wrote:
>
>> At 09:23 AM 6/26/01 +0200, Gregor Fajdiga wrote:
>> >if you are not running faxgetty.
>> >faxstat is not showing anything useful.
>>
>> Duh.  Of course not.
>>
>> Are your car's dash gagues hard to read at night if you don't turn your
>> park lights on?
>>
>> Lee.  (who wonders if people ask mechanics that)
>
>faxstat reads what is in /var/spool/hylafax/status where is one file for
each modem.
>if you don't execute faxgetty it always says "Modem ttyS0 (blahblah):
Waiting for modem
>to come ready" and with faxgetty not running you can write "Jebem ti mater"
>to /var/spool/hylafax/status/ttyS0. guess what will faxstat say than, huh????
>and actually faxstat works fine while sending fax.

Awe, c'mon.  I was trying to tease ya... and you go and get all pissy about
it.  You're out of line getting fiesty over this because, dude:

1) you knew already that faxstate did not alter the status files and dared
to ask in a tone that said "HylaFAX is broken" because of it.
2) if you had taken the time to look, this behavior is clearly documented
on the website in the HOWTO and in the man pages (somewhere...)
3) you *already* inquired about this same thing, and Giulio gave you a
wonderfully patient answer... which you seem to have ignored
4) if you had bothered to search the archives, you would have seen that
this issue has come up multiple times weekly for the last few months here

So... I think I had some justification in teasing you.

>anyway intention of this mail was not to talk about what faxstat shows or
what not.

Well, you *could* have rephrased your mail to not make it sound like you
were complaining about faxstat.  Please re-read the quoted text above and
observe how it could be viewed by a semi-intelligent person that you were
complaining about faxstat and not faxstate.

>i was asking about state of modems, which you can alter with "faxstate".
>and all i am asking is if there is any way to see states of modems and if
you need
>to run faxgetty (not) to see this.

Parse your syslog and you'll see stuff like:

Jun 26 10:25:41 newton FaxGetty[8029]: STATE "B"
Jun 26 10:27:18 newton FaxGetty[8029]: STATE "R"

I'll complain first that these log entries don't specify the modem device
name.  But, that's about the only way that I know of to do this.  Even if
you *are* running faxgetty, faxstate will not cause faxgetty to alter the
status files in any way (the modem status still is rightly "Running and
idle").  And, I'll side with you here and admit that this could ideally be
different with maybe "Running and idle - marked busy" or something like that.

To understand, though, you have to realize that the status files are only
altered at key moments during faxsend and faxgetty, and otherwise the files
are left untouched.  So if you're not running faxgetty, you'll never see
"Running and idle" because *it's not* "running" or "idle".  What is the
modem doing?  We don't know, we're not monitoring it with anything
(faxgetty).  What is our status with the modem?  We're "waiting for modem
to come ready" the next time we invoke faxsend.  And if we *are* running
faxgetty, and we do use faxstate, "Running and idle" is still correct
because faxgetty is still running on (monitoring) the modem and the modem
is idle.  So, to sum up... the status files are for use with faxgetty or
faxsend not faxstate.  Is there a way to see the "state" of the modem?
Without parsing the syslog, I don't think so.  I'm not certain about this,
but I think that HylaFAX stores the modem state like this in the FIFO.
Good luck on reading that.

>i wonder what you say to merchant which offers you a newspaper.
>a> i'm not gay "or"
>b> i don't read newspapers
>c> i am vegeterian

Heh, I usually say "no thank you" because I do read newspapers... only I
don't want to purchase theirs.

Lee.