[hylafax-users] Received fax conversion question

Hello all.

I'm not sure this is strictly on topic, but this is where I'd imagine
finding someone with the same situation as mine...

I've been using HylaFAX for a month or so to receive faxes and, once I
have them, convert them to images, not ps or other files.  Currently, I
use fax2ps to avoid the resolution difference, then ImageMagick's convert
utility to change from a PostScript file to a jpg or gif, etc.  It works
pretty well, but the image quality suffers a lot during the process and
I'm looking for a better way to go directly from tif to jpg (say).  IM
doesn't seem to respect the resolution change unless you manually set it,
and even then the quality seems to have degraded again.  Am I expecting
too much here?  Has anyone been able to convert from the received tif to
a readable, clear jpg or gif?

Thanks in advance,

Dave