Re: [hylafax-users] Connecting External USR v.90 modem

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Tanner, Robby wrote:

> I'm trying to connect my US Robotics V.90 external fax/modem to COM2 on Red
> Hat 6.0.  When I run probemodem, it claims it cannot insure that I have
> exclusive access to the modem.  I can't dial out over minicom either.  Any
> ideas?  statserial /dev/ttyS1 implies that the modem is there, I just can't
> use it as a modem per se.
>
> When I try running cu -l ttyS1
>
> I get the following:
>
> cu: open (/dev/ttyS1): Permission denied
> cu: ttyS1: Line in use
>
> If I change the permissions on /dev/ttyS1 to crw-rw-rw- , I can connect with
> cu, but none of my commands get a response and I can't exit.

OK, looks like you got the permissions thing already... you might want to
run "dmesg | less" right after you boot to see if the serial port is
recognized and reported by the kernel... it could be disabled in BIOS...

When you are sure the serial port is working then you should check the
cable/modem on another machine (assuming you're not REAL familiar with
Linux) and/or check for IRQ conflicts...

Once you have verified the BIOS, port, cable and modem are setup
correctly, you should be able to talk to the modem with cu no problems....

try minicom if in doubt.

Regards,

Andrew McRory - President/CTO        amacc@iron-bridge.net *****************
The PC Doctor, Inc.                  www.pcdr.com            850-575-7213 **
Iron Bridge Communications, Inc.     www.iron-bridge.net     850-575-0779 **
Contributed RPMS for RedHat and Caldera   ftp://ftp.iron-bridge.net/pub   **