Re: [hylafax-users] Hyla-fax "farm"

On Friday, September 22, 2000, at 10:24:02 AM, Jim Curran wrote:
> I'm not a Hylafax expert, but we're interested in high availability
> in our config too.  I wonder if the fax queue directory could be
> placed on a shared filesystem.   Two or more fax servers sharing
> a SCSI bus could feed off of the same queue, perhaps.

> Could this be developed (without access to RAID) by altering
> the daemons so more than one instance of each could run on
> the same box.

Hmmm...  RAID's not an issue, I don't think.

You don't actually want the multiple daemons running on one box, do
you?

Sharing the queues might just well work, though; I hadn't thought
about it, but I'm reasonably certain that everything opens files when
it needs them, and closes them when it's done, and all sequence
numbers are on the file system. The idea might well work, with not too
too much attention to locking.

This properly belongs on the development list, I suspect; I'm moving
it there; we'll see what Robert, Steve and Tim think about it.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff
The Suncoast Freenet