Re: [hylafax-users] Running hylafax on multiple servers

Val Rahlin schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Val.  I saw your name on Hylafax Web site as somebody who
> runs Hylafax on multiple servers.  I am considering adding second
> Hylafax server to my environment (I am currently running Hylafax 4.0pl2
> under SCO Unix Open Server 5.0.5 on Intel PC). I have couple questions
> about your setup:
> 1. How do you handle load balancing between servers? Do you have
> something that automatically sends new fax request to the least busy
> server?
I don't do any load balancing because each server runs only for one of
our
ten locations throughout germany, each location has its own customers
so there is no need for load balancing.
But I have a suggestion for you:
wrap the sendfax in a litte script which decides to choose the server
for the job. e.g. let the script check the prefix-number or the
first two digits of the dest-number and use the
-h option to send your jobs:

--- cut here
#!/bin/sh
PREFIX=`cut -c 1,2 $1`
case $PREFIX
	"01"
		THE_SERVER=server1
		;;
	"02"
		THE_SERVER=server2
		;;
esac

sendfax -h $THE_SERVER -d ......
--- cut here
ok, I'm no good in shell programming at all,
with a little time one could make a real good
perl-script a build a comfortable wrapper
for using sendfax with load balancing.

only a suggestion, but that should work and help
balancing the load on your servers.

> 2. How do you handle multiple jobs to the same destination number?  If
> such jobs are sent to the same Hylafax server it will know to block one
> job while the other is running.  But if such jobs are sent to two
> different Hylafax servers they may be running at the same time and one
> of them will get a busy signal and possibly fail (if it retries too many
> times)
multiple jobs to the same number should run on the same server I guess.
to avoid the jobs being timed out set the
KillTime:"now + 96 hours"
in your hyla.conf

> I would appreciate your answers and any other suggestions on how to run
> multiple Hylafax servers.
>
> Thanks.
HIH
/matthias

--
HAGOS eG                 phone: +49 711 7880592
Matthias Reich             fax: +49 711 7880599