Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax on FreeBSD

* Paul A. Franz, P.E. <paul@eucleides.com> [20000912 22:31]:
>At 04:23 AM 9/12/2000 Odhiambo Washington sez:
> >.....me and him could not get my
>>box to let him in via telnet - even after including his IP in my
>>hosts.allow, so it remained like that.
>
>You sound like you have many setup issues. If Darren backed out, it is
>probably because he felt you were not yet to a level where helping you
>would be effective.

Not may setup issues. We use tcp wrappers at our site and we typically
block everyone outside our network from accessing tcp-wrapped services,
which include TELNET. I figure out I can setup Telnetd to run freely so
that he can access my server.

>>  But all the same I believe somehow
>>I need a step by step guide for the installation because it would not be
>>appropriate for me to call upon Darren everytime I need to setup a new
>>server.
>
>You should do two things. Offer to pay Darren to resolve the other setup
>issues you have and arrange to phone him from your location, paying for the
>cost. He will set it up, keeping a log of the telnet session so you can
>study it and replicate the solution on other machines.

Now that complicates it - paying. I've always believed that the TPC.INT
faxing service is a FREE service. I did not figure out that I'll need to
pay for it, rather it would be easier for me to just stop thinking about
it. Also I cannot call him because phone rates in my country are quite
prohibitive. The company I work for definately will not agree to this -
calls billed at US$3 per 1 minute.

>You need to get telnet working. Do you have a telnet daemon running? Can
>you telnet to your machine from another on your LAN? If so, then it is a
>router issue or other firewall. If that is the case you will need to get
>access or move your machine upstream of the blocking router.

As explained above. You can also telnet to my machine 212.22.163.107 (aka
alouette.iconnect.co.ke), only you'll not be allowed in. I have a
prohibitive hosts.allow and inetd.conf ...

>You should be thinking of moving to SSH to use encrypted passwords anyhow,
>especially if you are an ISP.

In our situation, SSH is not quite a necessity...we do not give our
ordinary subscribers any shell accounts.....only pmlogin...only staff have
shell accounts

>I would help you but you must have telnet or SSH working first.

Hmmmm... I have Telnet and SSH running but no thanks. I'll figure
something out....I'm sure. At the moment I can only trust Darren with
access to that extent....

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

All art is but imitation of nature. -Lucius Annaeus Seneca