Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax on FreeBSD

* Paul A. Franz, P.E. <paul@eucleides.com> [20000912 11:32]:
>Wash,
>
>I believe you are correct in assuming Linux is the most frequently used
>HylaFAX installation but you should be able to get it going in Free BSD
>just about as easily.
>
>You said you were trying to set up a "cell" for Kenya. I am assuming you
>mean a TPC.INT fax cell. That is very good. It turns out that Darren
>Nickerson is probably your best bet for help. I am cc:ing him on this one.
>I bet he could telnet to your machine, set it up and keep a log of the
>telnet session for you so you can get it going on your production server.

Yes, a TPC.INT fax cell is what I want. I had talked to Darren before and
he agreed to help with the setup but funnily me and him could not get my
box to let him in via telnet - even after including his IP in my
hosts.allow, so it remained like that. But all the same I believe somehow
I need a step by step guide for the installation because it would not be
appropriate for me to call upon Darren everytime I need to setup a new
server. I work for an ISP and we're expanding to different towns, meaning
we are going to cover a larger part of Kenya by having POPs at
various towns. It is my belief that once I am able to setup one server
with some help, then the rest will be a repeat process, thus my request
to have a FreeBSD HOWTO, because ALL our servers are on FreeBSD.

>I believe you are going to need at least the following as source tarballs.
>
>1) Most recent version of HylaFAX
>2) Most recent version of libtiff
>3) Most recent version of the faxgetty
>4) A recent and compatible version of Ghostscript.
>5) The Unix glue for TPC.INT

These will require a few minutes to download because we're on a 512K link.
I know 512K sounds child stuff to guys out there who are on T1 (E1) ;-0

>You can have Darren telnet to your machine and get it running. You will
>need to have your exchange file submitted to him too. He will then include
>it in his DNS update and you will be in business. I can't speak for him but
>I can say he helped me similarly as he has others.

You're actually right. He agreed to do that. We had a brief exchange via
e-mail but were not able to figure out why he was being denied access to
my unix box. I could move aside my hosts.allow but you know what that can
do to a network. Well I think I'll have to ask him to try telnet again
and if it fails, then I'll have to go to the FBSD lists to ask guys why
that is happening...

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

I would like the government to do all it can to mitigate, then, in
understanding, in mutuality of interest, in concern for the common good, our
tasks will be solved. -Warren G. Harding