Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] ATDT%s@ trick

Hi,

OK, I found an old manual...

The way it works is when dialing a fax machine, the remote fax machine
answers the phone and immediately starts generating connection tones.

The @ says if you don't hear the tones, then there wasn't a fax machine
attached to the other end of the phone line, so ... report a "NO ANSWER"
result code ( from the MT2834BL Modem manual ... ) rather than a NO CARRIER,
which is typically returned on NOTHING answering the phone...

If it does hear the tones, then everthing is fine.

As to the different handling, I guess the code proves my memory completely
wrong!!

I'm really swamped today, but a QUICK boo at the code ( thanks for including
it!! ) would seem to indicate that a "NO ANSWER" doesn't examine the
NoCarrierRetries counter..... HUM.... that seems weird...

I'm not too sure what the code is trying to do, but hopefully this clears
up a LITTLE what the intent of it is...

--
	Steve Williams, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
	Genie Computer Systems Inc.

"A man doesn't begin to attain wisdom until he recognizes that he is
 no longer indispensable."
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd ( 1888-1957 )