Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] ATDT%s@ trick

Steve Williams <steve@genie96.com> writes:

> OK, I found an old manual...
>
> The way it works is when dialing a fax machine, the remote fax machine
> answers the phone and immediately starts generating connection tones.
>
> The @ says if you don't hear the tones, then there wasn't a fax machine
> attached to the other end of the phone line, so ... report a "NO ANSWER"
> result code ( from the MT2834BL Modem manual ... ) rather than a NO CARRIER,
> which is typically returned on NOTHING answering the phone...
>
> If it does hear the tones, then everthing is fine.

This behaviour IMHO is not acceptable. Many fax machines use "toll saver"
feature and go off-hook only after several incoming rings. Calling such fax
machine the modem will hear ringbacks and giveup with "NO ANSWER"
("BUSY"). So we will be unable to send any fax there ...

> As to the different handling, I guess the code proves my memory completely
> wrong!!
>
> I'm really swamped today, but a QUICK boo at the code ( thanks for including
> it!! ) would seem to indicate that a "NO ANSWER" doesn't examine the
> NoCarrierRetries counter..... HUM.... that seems weird...
>
> I'm not too sure what the code is trying to do, but hopefully this clears
> up a LITTLE what the intent of it is...

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry