Re: [hylafax-users] Caldera faxsetup problem with useradd

On Saturday, September 09, 2000, at 1:06:06 PM, Lee Howard wrote:
>>> Tim Rice had a better idea of writing the "fax" user directly rather than
>>> through useradd.  That's functional fix.  See my reply to him on -users.
>>
>>I must register my disagreement with my esteemed colleague... Use The
>>API, Luke; you don't always know what useradd is doing: specifically,
>>*it* knows about PAM (shadow passwords, MD5, and maybe even RADIUS),
>>and you don't.

> The problem in this case being that the useradd in question doesn't support
> adding users to  existing uids.  Below is *all* the information that I have
> found on this version.  'man useradd' does nothing.

> [root@metroid deanox]# /usr/sbin/useradd
> usage:  useradd [-u uid] [-g group] [-m] [-d home] [-s shell] [-r rootdir]
>                 [-e expire dd/mm/yyyy] [-f inactive] name
>         useradd -D
>         useradd -v

Oh no, I know *that*...  my point was simply that "just adding the
user by hand" isn't sufficiently portable.  This *really* ought, I
suspect, to be dealt with in the configure script; I'm sure useradd
isn't the recommended method on all platforms, anyway...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff
The Suncoast Freenet