[hylafax-users] Zyxel 2864I with DRAM partial success (stand alone)

Linux 2.0.30 (slackware origin) running on a Pentium Pro
Hylafax v4.0.pl12
Zyxel 2864I modem with 8Mb DRAM on accelerated card

I've recently come to install a new zyxel 2864I modem and tried to set
it up under hylafax. Sending no problem, recieving first a disaster until
I finally decided to try a stand alone receive in order to separate the
fax to modemtransmission from the modem to hylafax transmission.
Problem occurring was fax page receive went fine, but no formal end of fax
negotiation, leading to tiff images unreadable by fax2ps For logs see previous
message by me in archive. Modem there was a USR robotics, the the log/problem
was identical (the solution thus probably also......:=)

Anyway, upon starting the the machine to retrieve the fax send whilst
the fax was in stand alone mode, it first caused exactly the same
problem. However, I had sent 2 faxes and the second wasn't coming in, so
I killed the faxgetty, which was started upon boot, and restarted it from the root
prompt
Fax  1 rolls in fine, followed by fax number 2 without problems

Thus:
1) The zyxel stores faxes in DRAM, and releases them upon receiving a
change fax class command (from dram storage class Z to normal fax class 1,2,2,0
or 6[which is 1,2,and 2.0 ])
2) Faulty receptions by hylafax are recognised by the modem, and the fax
is kept to be retransmitted to the server (Perfect)

3) I still can't start thefaxgetty automatically on boot (causing
receive problems), but exactly the same command given later as root
does function . I had thoughtI should start the process in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local, and the lines I use are
#/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty -D /dev/ttyS3     [currently commented out ]
/usr/local/sbin/faxq

Anyone who can share light on this one..... (have I misunderstood and
should faxq first be run...)

4) Unfortunately hylafax does not yet have options to send to the fax/modem
upon exiting, which means that I currently need to use the following in
my init.6 script

/usr/local/sbin/faxquit ttyS3
sleep 5
/usr/sbin/pppd call StandAloneFAX
sleep 5
/usr/sbin/ppp-off

in order to transmit the commands to change the fax state (still
betterthan windows, where I need to do this interactive....)

5) pppd complains about locked devices when faxgetty is listening (ie
not receiving) and won't start until I kill the faxgetty; any ways to
circumvent this problem of first having to disable the faxprogram and
restart it afterwards? After all it is a dual line ISDN modem....

Thanks for any hints

Frans Hollman