Re: [hylafax-users] hylafax always kills faxq and hfaxd

On Saturday, August 26, 2000, at 4:46:19 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
> Hi.  For testing purposes, I tried installing (compiling) and configuring
> HylaFAX (CVS-20000825) on a Slackware Linux 7.1 (full-install) system.  I
> *can* get it running fine as far as I can tell (faxes are received, and
> faxes are sent) by manually invoking /usr/local/sbin/faxq and
> '/usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i 4559' or by invoking them from
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  (faxgetty, as always is run by init from /etc/inittab
> - two modems here)

> The HylaFAX installation adds appropriate entries into /etc/services, which
> I believe calls on /usr/local/sbin/hylafax - however, I think that this
> hylafax script is flawed (or my installation isn't correct), because:

Nope; /etc/services is simply a map from port numbers to names and
vice versa.

> root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
>  4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
>  4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
>  4451 ?        00:00:00 hfaxd
>  4453 ?        00:00:00 faxq
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hylafax stop
> Stopping HylaFAX Servers.
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
>  4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
>  4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hylafax start
> HylaFAX: hfaxd (without old protocol or SNPP support).
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
>  4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
>  4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/faxq
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i 4559
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
>  4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
>  4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
>  4540 ?        00:00:00 faxq
>  4542 ?        00:00:00 hfaxd
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hylafax start
> HylaFAX: hfaxd (without old protocol or SNPP support).
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
>  4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
>  4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# faxstat
> Can not reach server at host "localhost", port 4559.
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/faxq
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i 4559
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# faxstat
> HylaFAX scheduler on metroid.deanox.com: Running
> Modem ttyS0 (+1.435.755.0959): Running and idle
> Modem ttyS1 (+1.435.755.0959): Running and idle
> root@metroid:/home/deanox#

> Any way I try it, that hylafax script kills faxq and hfaxd - for starting
> or stopping.  Consequently, the System-V init for faxq and hfaxd in
> /etc/services (?) isn't working, and consequently, I have to invoke it
> manually or in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

I suspect that start has a builtin stop to avoid dups -- if I'm right,
that's not the way I'd do it; I'd simply check, and not *start* the
dups -- but that start isn't looking in the right places for the
binaries.

> Another noticeable problem is that when I replace the default faxrcvd with
> my custom one, I don't get the expected mail (with an attachment), but
> rather a mail that looks like this:

> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:06:07 -0600
> From: uucp <uucp@metroid.deanox.com>

> (and nothing more)

> The default faxrcvd seems to work fine.  My faxrcvd script works fine on my
> RedHat 6.1 systems.

Check the arguments to either binmail or sendmail in the script; Slack
may have different versions.

> On this Slackware 7.1 system:

> root@metroid:/home/deanox# bash -version
> GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i386-slackware-linux-gnu)
> root@metroid:/home/deanox# sh -version
> GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i386-slackware-linux-gnu)
> root@metroid:/home/deanox#

> On my RedHat 6.1 systems:

> [root@providence deanox]# bash -version
> GNU bash, version 1.14.7(1)
> [root@providence deanox]# sh -version
> GNU sh, version 1.14.7(1)
> [root@providence deanox]#

> On a RedHat Pinstripe (beta) system: (on which my faxrcvd scripts also work
> fine)

> [deanox@metroid deanox]$ /bin/bash --version
> GNU bash, version 2.04.8(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)
> [deanox@metroid deanox]$ /bin/sh --version
> GNU bash, version 2.04.8(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)
> [deanox@metroid deanox]$

A faint memory tells me there were some wonky problems with early
bash2 versions; the details escape me; Ask The Web<tm>.

> If this is something really stupid on my part, let me know.  If this is a
> HylaFAX feature, let me know, too, and I'll place it in Bugzilla.

Smartass.  ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff