[hylafax-users] hylafax always kills faxq and hfaxd

Hi.  For testing purposes, I tried installing (compiling) and configuring
HylaFAX (CVS-20000825) on a Slackware Linux 7.1 (full-install) system.  I
*can* get it running fine as far as I can tell (faxes are received, and
faxes are sent) by manually invoking /usr/local/sbin/faxq and
'/usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i 4559' or by invoking them from
/etc/rc.d/rc.local.  (faxgetty, as always is run by init from /etc/inittab
- two modems here)

The HylaFAX installation adds appropriate entries into /etc/services, which
I believe calls on /usr/local/sbin/hylafax - however, I think that this
hylafax script is flawed (or my installation isn't correct), because:

root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
 4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
 4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
 4451 ?        00:00:00 hfaxd
 4453 ?        00:00:00 faxq
root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hylafax stop
Stopping HylaFAX Servers.
root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
 4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
 4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hylafax start
HylaFAX: hfaxd (without old protocol or SNPP support).
root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/faxq
root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i 4559
root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
 4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
 4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
 4540 ?        00:00:00 faxq
 4542 ?        00:00:00 hfaxd
root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hylafax start
HylaFAX: hfaxd (without old protocol or SNPP support).
root@metroid:/home/deanox# ps -e | grep fax
 4445 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
 4446 ?        00:00:00 faxgetty
root@metroid:/home/deanox# faxstat
Can not reach server at host "localhost", port 4559.
root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/faxq
root@metroid:/home/deanox# /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i 4559
root@metroid:/home/deanox# faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on metroid.deanox.com: Running
Modem ttyS0 (+1.435.755.0959): Running and idle
Modem ttyS1 (+1.435.755.0959): Running and idle
root@metroid:/home/deanox#

Any way I try it, that hylafax script kills faxq and hfaxd - for starting
or stopping.  Consequently, the System-V init for faxq and hfaxd in
/etc/services (?) isn't working, and consequently, I have to invoke it
manually or in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Another noticeable problem is that when I replace the default faxrcvd with
my custom one, I don't get the expected mail (with an attachment), but
rather a mail that looks like this:

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:06:07 -0600
From: uucp <uucp@metroid.deanox.com>

(and nothing more)

The default faxrcvd seems to work fine.  My faxrcvd script works fine on my
RedHat 6.1 systems.

On this Slackware 7.1 system:

root@metroid:/home/deanox# bash -version
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i386-slackware-linux-gnu)
root@metroid:/home/deanox# sh -version
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i386-slackware-linux-gnu)
root@metroid:/home/deanox#

On my RedHat 6.1 systems:

[root@providence deanox]# bash -version
GNU bash, version 1.14.7(1)
[root@providence deanox]# sh -version
GNU sh, version 1.14.7(1)
[root@providence deanox]#

On a RedHat Pinstripe (beta) system: (on which my faxrcvd scripts also work
fine)

[deanox@metroid deanox]$ /bin/bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.04.8(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)
[deanox@metroid deanox]$ /bin/sh --version
GNU bash, version 2.04.8(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)
[deanox@metroid deanox]$

I was going to look into the hylafax script myself to try and figure
something out, but it's my bed time now.  I've already worn myself out with
the faxrcvd script, and couldn't see anything wrong (they're very similar
to the ones I just posted - only without converting to ps or pdf.).

If this is something really stupid on my part, let me know.  If this is a
HylaFAX feature, let me know, too, and I'll place it in Bugzilla.

Thanks.

Lee.