Re: [hylafax-users] Receive Fax problems

On Friday, August 25, 2000, at 11:04:45 AM, Darren Nickerson wrote:
>   +> There's your problem. You're unable to install libgr and the gang because
> you
>   +> have libpng2 installed.

>   Jay> Came that way.

> I an not aware of ANY redhat release that "comes that way". Please can you
> clarify what release of RedHat you installed? Thanks.

Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)
Linux cartman.msas.net 2.2.16 #2 Fri Jul 14 16:40:43 EDT 2000 i586 unknown

>   Jay> Sorry; I was trying to install libpng2, as noted, because libg-progs
>   Jay> said I needed it.  I got it from rpmfind.  Why libgr-progs wouldn't
>   Jay> say *>=* 1, I dunno.

> Please recheck your notes. You stated:

>   Jay> Installed the first two, -progs failed on libpng-1.0.8 -- I *had*
>   Jay> libpng2.

Yep, you're right, I did say that. I meant to say "I was trying to
install libpng1, as noted, because libg-progs said I needed it."...
which, of course, isn't an answer to your question.

> Which is true?  No matter, nuke libpng2 since it should not be around here.

I apparently already have, since it's not there anymore.  My currently
installed libpng is 1.0.3-4

>   +> I don't think that's true. I think maybe it conflicts badly with libpng2.

>   Jay> Nope; the conflict messages said the files belonged to libtiff.

> I'd love to see this. If it's true, the conflict must have been with libpng2,
> which at the moment is a wildcard to me . . . where it came from, what it
> contains, and what it clashes with.

Currently installed:
libtiff-3.5.5-2
libgr-2.0.14-2
libgr-devel-2.0.14-2
libpng-1.0.3-4

Now, a different problem:

[root@cartman other]# rpm -Uvh libgr-progs-2_0_14-2_i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        libpng.so.1 is needed by libgr-progs-2.0.14-2

Is that just a broken symlink problem, you think?

>   +> What's the problem? Remove your libpng2 RPM (which does not come with
> RedHat
>   +> and you must have installed as a custom thing) and install libtiff and the
>   +> libgr stuff.

>   Jay> Did not either.  :-)  But I'll do that anyway, and see what happens.

> Can you show me the output of 'rpm -qi libpng2' please?

I'd love to, but as noted above, I apparently nuked it.  I was doing
this at about midnight:30, I'm not surprised I forgot to note doing
that in my log.  Typescript next time, for sure!

>   Jay> Yeah.  Someone had walked off with my CD, and rpmfind appears not to
>   Jay> be completely auhtoritative for the distributed rpm's.

> What's wrong with ftp.redhat.com (and its mirrors)? That's all I ever use.

Had no luck at all that night; tried main + 3; it was Pinstripe
release night, I think.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff