Re: [hylafax-users] faxstat: "Waiting for modem to come ready"suddenly started appearing.

First of all, I was going to install some version information, but it seems like
I forgot to. In any case, I'm running hylafax on an SGI Origin 200 with 6.5.6f,
and HylaFax version is v4.0pl2; it was installed from the "fw_hylafax"
distribution at http://freeware.sgi.com.

> faxgetty is trying to initialize the modem and is failing.  It usually is
> due to a misconfigured config file whre the AT commands for that modem are
> kept.
>
> If that's not it, then something is probably hanging up the serial port and
> not allowing faxgetty to communicate with it.
>
> If faxgetty fails to initialize the modem, then it reports a wedged error
> and tries again (if respawning).
>
> What modem type,model,firmware?  What serial port?  What OS?  What hylafax
> version?  Lastly, what's the config file say?

The following section from the system log describes the modem, which is connected
to ttyd2:

     Aug 22 21:54:37 6D:praha FaxGetty[839]: MODEM USROBOTICS COURIER
     V.32BIS DUAL STANDARD V.34 FAX Product type           Norway External
     MSK
     Aug 22 21:54:37 5B:praha Options
     HST,V32bis,Terbo,V.FC,V.34
     Aug 22 21:54:37 5B:praha Fax Options            Class 1/Class 2.0
     Aug 22 21:54:37 5B:praha Clock Freq             20.16Mhz
     Aug 22 21:54:37 5B:praha Eprom                  256k
     Aug 22 21:54:37 5B:praha Ram                    32k/Supervisor
     date        08/12/94
     Aug 22 21:54:37 5B:praha DSP date               08/02/94
     Aug 22 21:54:37 5B:praha Supervisor rev         047-6.0
     Aug 22 21:54:37 5B:praha DSP rev                11.1

As for the config files, I'd swear that nothing has changed since everything was
running correctly, as usual when something goes wrong... Anyhow, config and
config.ttyd2 are attached to this message (I apologize to anyone who thinks this
makes the message a bit too large for the mailing list.)

> Lee Howard
>
> At 10:15 PM 8/22/00 +0200, you wrote:
> >Included below is a thread from our internal problem report mailing list
> >(it's all me talking to myself, actually. ) I would appreciate it if
> >someone could take time read this, and explain what is going on, or just
> >suggest some more tests to perform, further checks etc., as I'm really
> >at my wit's end here.
> >--
> >Toralf Lund <toralf@kscanners.no>   +47 66 85 51 22
> >Kongsberg Scanners AS               +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)
> >http://www.kscanners.no/~toralf     +47 66 85 51 01 (fax)

> >Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:07:22 +0200
> >From: Toralf Lund <toralf@kscanners.com>
> >To: trouble@kscanners.com
> >Subject: Re: Fax server down - and disabled in inittab - again

> >> In addition to this, the following message started appearing in the system
> >> log this morning:
> >>
> >>      Aug 22 09:44:54 3D:praha HylaFAX[776235]: /recvq/: Not a
> >>      directory.
> >>
> >> recvq isn't a directory in the strict sense, of course, as it is a symbolic
> >> link to an alternate queue location (/u/fax), but it has always been like
> >> that, and no error messages have been given earlier, at least not for a
> >> long time (I seem to remember seeing it a log time ago.) Perhaps this
> >> message is given only when the server is trying to reinitialize because
> >> something else went wrong.
> >
> >Several steps were taken to fix the problems, including:
> >
> >   * Option '-q /u/fax' inserted in inittab entry.
> >   * Modem and daemons restarted several times, and manual commands like
> "ATZ"
> >     and "ATDT" echoed to the device.
> >   * The entire server rebooted.
> >   * "upsilon" software removed as it may cause conflicts on the serial port,
> >     and it isn't needed anyway (it should have been removed earlier);
> this is
> >     the support software for the UPS we tried installing some time ago, but
> >     it doesn't work for the replacement we got when the first one didn't
> >     work.
> >
> >but nothing of this worked; faxstat output is still the same, and the fax
> >doesn't answer the phone.
> >
> >The fax line was temporarily connected to our paper fax, and support will be
> >requested on the Hylafax mailing list.
> >
> >- Toralf
LogFacility:		daemon
CountryCode:		47
AreaCode:		0
LongDistancePrefix:	0
InternationalPrefix:	00
DialStringRules:	etc/dialrules.norway
ServerTracing:		1
AdaptiveAnswer:         yes
AnswerRotary:           "fax"
# $Id: config.ttyd2,v 1.2 2000/03/16 09:30:20 root Exp $
#
# HylaFAX Facsimile Software
#
# Copyright (c) 1990-1996 Sam Leffler
# Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
# HylaFAX is a trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc.
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
# its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
# that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission notice appear in
# all copies of the software and related documentation, and (ii) the names of
# Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics may not be used in any advertising or
# publicity relating to the software without the specific, prior written
# permission of Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
# EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
# WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
#
# IN NO EVENT SHALL SAM LEFFLER OR SILICON GRAPHICS BE LIABLE FOR
# ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND,
# OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
# WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY OF
# LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
# OF THIS SOFTWARE.
#

#
# Configuration for using the Class 2.0 command interface
# with a USR v.34 Courier or Sporster modem.
#
# RTS/CTS flow control is used default.
#
#
CountryCode:		47
AreaCode:		0
FAXNumber:		+4766855101
LongDistancePrefix:	0
InternationalPrefix:	00
DialStringRules:	"etc/dialrules.norway"
ServerTracing:		1
SessionTracing:		11
AdaptiveAnswer:         yes
AnswerRotary:           "fax"
RecvFileMode:		0666
LogFileMode:		0600
DeviceMode:		0600
RingsBeforeAnswer:	1
SpeakerVolume:		off
GettyArgs:		"-h %l dx_%s"
LocalIdentifier:	"Kongsberg Scanners AS"
TagLineFont:		etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:		"From %%l|%c|Page %%p of %%t"
MaxRecvPages:		25
#
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:		Class2.0	# use class 2.0 interface
ModemRate:		38400		# DCE-DTE communication rate
ModemFlowControl:	XONXOFF		# RTS/CTS doesn't seem to work

# Answer Fax (class 2) only
ModemAnswerCmd:		AT+FCLASS=2.0;ATA

#
ModemNoFlowCmd:		AT&H0&I0&R1	# setup modem for no flow control
ModemHardFlowCmd:	AT&H1&I0&R2	# setup modem for hardware flow control
ModemSoftFlowCmd:	AT&H2&I2&R0	# setup modem for software flow control
#
# ModemSetupDTRCmd:	ATS13=0&D0	# setup so DTR drop resets modem
ModemSetupDCDCmd:	AT&C1		# setup so DCD reflects carrier (or not)
ModemResultCodesCmd:	ATQ0X4		# enable extended result codes
#
# NB: adaptive answer only seems to work properly when
#     the modem is left idling in Class 2.0
#
ModemSetupAACmd:	AT+FAA=0
#
# Set modem speaker volume commands: OFF QUIET LOW MEDIUM HIGH.
# Note that we both turn the speaker on/off and set volume.
#
ModemSetVolumeCmd:	"ATM0 ATM1 ATM1 ATM1 ATM1"

#
# Modem does not support HDLC frame tracing; we add this just
# to eliminate spurious ERROR results that confuse the naive.
#
Class2BUGCmd:		AT+FBU=0
#
# The modem doesn't support copy quality checking, even though it
# returns (0-2,0-2) for AT+FCQ=?; therefore we override the query
# response so that the server will do copy quality checking.
#
Class2CQQueryCmd:	!(0),(0)	# override modem response

ModemSoftResetCmd:	ATZ		# do soft reset of modem
ModemWaitTimeCmd:	ATS7=60		# wait 60 seconds for carrier
ModemCommaPauseTimeCmd:	ATS8=2		# comma pause time is 2 seconds
ModemRecvFillOrder:	LSB2MSB		# bit order of received facsimile
ModemSendFillOrder:	LSB2MSB		# bit order modem expects for transmit

Class2AbortCmd:		AT+FKS		# abort session command

#
# Timeouts increased to solve problems with receiving some faxes.
#

Class1TCFRecvTimeout:	12000		# Default 4500
ModemPageDoneTimeout:	500000		# Default 180000
ModemPageStartTimeout:	500000		# Default 180000
IXOLoginTimeout:	25		# Default 15
IXOXmitTimeout:		25		# Default 15
Class2PHCTOCmd:         AT+FCT=120	# Default 30