[hylafax-users] faxstat: "Waiting for modem to come ready" suddenly started appearing.

Included below is a thread from our internal problem report mailing list
(it's all me talking to myself, actually. ) I would appreciate it if
someone could take time read this, and explain what is going on, or just
suggest some more tests to perform, further checks etc., as I'm really
at my wit's end here.
--
Toralf Lund <toralf@kscanners.no>   +47 66 85 51 22
Kongsberg Scanners AS               +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)

> > "Modem appears to be wedged" messages were sent to faxmaster earlier
> > today. Everything was restarted, and it looks like a failed attempt to
> > receive a fax has been made, before everything was disabled again. Also,
> > the faxgetty entry in /etc/inittab contained ":off:" rather than
> > "respawn".  In fact it may look like this entry is updated automatically
> > somehow; we have seen inexplicable changes here earlier, too.
> >
> > faxstat output after re-enabling faxgetty is:
> >
> >      HylaFAX scheduler on praha.kscanners.no: Running
> >      Modem ttyd2 (+4766855101): Waiting for modem to come ready
>
> In addition to this, the following message started appearing in the system
> log this morning:
>
>      Aug 22 09:44:54 3D:praha HylaFAX[776235]: /recvq/: Not a
>      directory.
>
> recvq isn't a directory in the strict sense, of course, as it is a symbolic
> link to an alternate queue location (/u/fax), but it has always been like
> that, and no error messages have been given earlier, at least not for a
> long time (I seem to remember seeing it a log time ago.) Perhaps this
> message is given only when the server is trying to reinitialize because
> something else went wrong.

Several steps were taken to fix the problems, including:

   * Option '-q /u/fax' inserted in inittab entry.
   * Modem and daemons restarted several times, and manual commands like "ATZ"
     and "ATDT" echoed to the device.
   * The entire server rebooted.
   * "upsilon" software removed as it may cause conflicts on the serial port,
     and it isn't needed anyway (it should have been removed earlier); this is
     the support software for the UPS we tried installing some time ago, but
     it doesn't work for the replacement we got when the first one didn't
     work.

but nothing of this worked; faxstat output is still the same, and the fax
doesn't answer the phone.

The fax line was temporarily connected to our paper fax, and support will be
requested on the Hylafax mailing list.

- Toralf