Re: [hylafax-users] usr modem - dials but won't connect

On Wednesday, August 16, 2000, at 1:36:35 PM, Lee Howard wrote:
>>I was searching the mailing list archive the other day for something
>>else, and saw several postings that people were running just fine with
>>USR products; it might be productive for those of you having problems
>>to do some searching there and see what you find.

> I've got a 3Com-USR 56K modem internal that's working fine with HylaFAX in
> Class 2.0.  They do fine with faxing and they do fine with data.  Their
> biggest downside is the lack of error checking and reporting in the
> firmware - which has been the biggest difficulty in getting Class 2.0
> modems to work with HylaFAX (because the firmware lies about its
> capabilities).

It might well have been your posting; that sounds familiar.

So it's just a question of hardwiring the real caps in the config
file, right?

> As a plus, though, I have noticed that 3Com-USR modems in general are much
> more tolerant of line noise and static, and so I've rarely seen any
> corrupted scan lines on any fax received by a 3Com-USR modem.

I've suggested to Joe that adding a category to Bugzilla for reports
of working modems, with attached config files, might be a good idea.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff
The Suncoast Freenet