Re: [hylafax-users] Truncated sent pages

On Monday, July 24, 2000, at 10:47:55 AM, Dan Schleifer wrote:
> Ok, I finally got Hyla set up reasonably well, but now I have this
> issue that only the first inch of each page is recieved.  Looking at the
> tif files in the queue, they look fine, and don't appear truncated, but
> when they come out the fax machine at the other end (hardware fax
> machine, not software) only the first inch of each page gets sent
> (albiet each on it's own page).

Each page, but only the first inch?  Yeah, this sounds like flow
control all right... assuming there actually is imaged data on the
whole page (HylaFAx will chop whitespace).

> I looked through the archive and gathered that this is a flow
> control issue, but I have tried rtscts and xonxoff. Neither seems to
> make a difference. Could this be a negotiation of capabilities
> issue?

I doubt it.

> To tell the truth, I don't know much
> about modem technology, but those seem to me like to most likely
> issues.  If it didn't send the second page, I'd assume the connection
> was being broken, but as it'll send the first inch of any number of
> pages, this doesn't seem to be it.  Anyway, I'm running linux 2.2.12 w/
> hylafax-4.1beta2-5rh6 and libtiff-3.4-6 on 2 MT5600ZDX modems
> (external).  Send only environment w/o faxgetty.  My config.ttyS0 file
> is attached below. (Note: I have tested it with xonxoff and rtscts as
> the flow control)

Well, first, I recommend against living without faxgetty; it's *much*
easier to keep track of things with it, and it don't take much
memory...

> CountryCode:            1
> AreaCode:               804
> FAXNumber:              9841001
> LongDistancePrefix:     1
> InternationalPrefix:    011
> DialStringRules:        etc/dialrules
> ServerTracing:          11
> SessionTracing:         11
> RecvFileMode:           0600
> LogFileMode:            0600
> DeviceMode:             0600
> RingsBeforeAnswer:      1
> SpeakerVolume:          off
> GettyArgs:              "-h %l dx_%s"
> LocalIdentifier:        "NothingSetup"
> TagLineFont:            etc/lutRS18.pcf
> TagLineFormat:          "From %%l|%c|Page %%p of %%t"
> MaxRecvPages:           25
> #
> #
> # Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
> # and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
> #
> ModemHardFlowCmd:       AT&E4           # hardware flow control
> ModemSoftFlowCmd:       AT&E5           # software flow control
> ModemSetupDTRCmd:       AT&D3           # setup so DTR drop resets modem
> ModemSetupDCDCmd:       AT&C1           # setup so DCD reflects carrier
> (or not)
> ModemFlowControl:       xonxoff
> ModemType:              Class2          # use this to supply a hint
> ModemRate:              19200           # max rate for DCE-DTE
> communication
> Class2RecvDataTrigger:  "\022"          # character sent to modem to
> start recv
> Class2XmitWaitForXON:   no              # if true, wait for XON before
> send

It seems to me I remember something about "\021" for the trigger,
instead of 022, but I don't remember why I think that.

trigger" and see what you get.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff