From: Alastair Broom [mailto:abroom@valleyt.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 2:06 AM
To: hylafax-users@hylafax.org
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Modem hung indefinately... saga continues

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Brendin Emslie wrote:

> This may have something to do with the volume of faxes that I am pumping
out
> (1300 in a 10 hour period on 4 lines).  How many are you sending out?
> I am running my modems with a CLASS1 config file.  How about you?

At this site, maybe 30-50 faxes per day, say 3-25 pages each (Purchase
Orders) on a single external Multitech MT2834ZDXI running in Class 2

> If there was only some way to get rid of these jobs without rebooting.
> This definately should not be required especially under a UNIX OS.

Yup, I agree, rebooting is a real pain.
There's a later message on the list from Tim Rice suggesting a patch
available for SCO to work round a problem in SCO's libraries - that'll
help me (though this site's hylafax only fails every 30days or so, so
it'll be a while 'til we know that the patch worked...), but doesn't help
you much.

> I am running on Redhat Linux 6.1 with 3COM 56K external modems and a
> Comtrol 8 Port Rocket port isa serial card.

Because the faxsend jobs can't be killed, it suggests the *kernel* is
waiting on something happening (as opposed to the program waiting, which
would respond to the kill).  Perhaps there is a problem with the drivers
for the Comtrol 8 Port Rocket card ?  Is there a newer version of
the drivers available ?
Or maybe you could try switching the flow-control scheme you have for
talking to the modems (from xon/xoff to rts/cts or vice versa) as maybe
the tty driver gets confused by whichever scheme you're using if a lot of
timely data is being pumped out (as is the case with Class 1)

Hope this helps...
--
Alastair Broom               ValleyT Ltd, Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland
abroom@valleyt.co.uk