[hylafax-users] Conversion errors

Greetings!

For the past few days I've been trying to install and configure HylaFAX
4.1 beta 2 (because 4.0pl2 wouldn't compile) on my Solaris 2.8 SPARC
box with Aladdin Ghostscript 6.01.  Things are generally working,
although I am having some issues with document conversion.

Specifically, I have tried to enable e-mail faxing by appending
mailer(`fax')dnl to the end of my config.mc for sendmail.  I rebuilt my
sendmail.cf to reflect the change, restarted sendmail, but was not able to
fax by sending mail to username@XXXXXXX.fax (where XXXXXXX is the fax
number).  I did, however, quickly get a message in my box describing a
problem.  The bulk of it follows:

Your facsimile job to XXXXXXX was not sent because document conversion
to facsimile failed.  The output from the converter program was:

Error: /typecheck in --search--
Operand stack:
   ()   413.663   --nostringval--   (\n)
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   %loop_continue   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:936/983(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:66/200(L)--   --dict:67/100(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Aladdin Ghostscript 6.01: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

There are a lot of things I can do though.  I can recieve faxes just fine,
and I can print Windows documents and send them though WHFC without an
incident.  I believe that sendmail is indeed setup right.  To satisfy my
curiosity, I tried a few more things.

I first took a piece of mail from my mailbox and saved it to a file called
testmail.txt.  Then, I executed the following commands:

% cat testmail.txt | faxmail > testmail.ps
% sendfax -n -d XXXXXXX testmail.ps

My fax was sent successfully, and looked about like what I would have
expected the e-mailed fax to look like.

I also created an alias to fax to a fax machine of mine:

sjfax: "|/usr/local/bin/faxmail -d sjevtic@XXXXXXX"

It didn't work.  In fact, it failed with the same message as when I tried
to directly mail a fax as first described in this message.

I then tried to create yet another alias to fax myself:

sjfax: "|/usr/local/bin/faxmail | /usr/local/bin/sendfax -n -d XXXXXXX"

This one worked flawlessly, just like the manual execution of
the two commands at the shell prompt.  Needless to say though, it has very
limited use. :-)

After these tests, I'm really leaning away from a sendmail problem, or
even a Ghostscript problem.  I'm starting to think that for some reason,
whenever faxmail is called upon to directly invoke Ghostscript, it doesn't
quite do this right, although sendfax does.  Could anyone shed a little
light on this issue?

Another problem I'm having is with my tagline.  My first try at a tagline
was "From %%l|Fax %%n|%D %r|Page %%p of %%t", but the first three letters
of "From" were getting cut off.  Thinking the first part was too long, I
changed the tagline to "%%l|Fax %%n|%D %r|Page %%p of %%t".  Now the first
letter of my company name is getting cut off.  Why?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

--Sasha Jevtic
sjevtic@virtualspectrum.net