[hylafax-users] Re: Help: Need Hardware Recommendation

sudhir@selectcafe.com wrote:
First you have to downgrade your tifflibs to the version that comes with RedHat 6.1,
then when I tried the binary distribution, most of the binaries worked, but the
faxstat and xferfaxstat commands did not ever get any information about what was
happening to any of the faxes.  (This may have been a fluke, but it is what happened
to me.)  So, I started over on RedHat 6.1, downloaded the source and recompiled.
I had a few challenges with setup, but mostly with customizing the sendfax command
to use a comma delimited address book.  (I didn't want to write a maintenance
program to maintain the horid format that is specified in the documentation, which
is one field per line, that, and I needed custom fields.)   So I wrote a bash script
with a sed&awk script in it called fs, to do the phone # lookups and pass the info
onto sendfax.  I have quite a complex automated system now, that would be easily
modified for custom purposes, if I took the time to document the source.... So in my
COPIOUS amounts of free time (yeah right..) I will probably make a generic
documented version of my scripts to contrib to hylafax.

By the by, the hardest part was hacking a postscript file of our coverpage that we
use to add the fields that hylafax will fill in.  Mainly due to the fact that I had
a hard time finding a program that would generate a version of PostScript in which
I could find the text I was trying to replace with variables.

> Thank you for your input.
>
> I am going to check out Rocketport cards immediately.
> Worldcom have promised to channelize the PRI lines for me.
> I guess that obviates the need for Paradyne MUX.
>
> Dell linux servers come preloaded with RedHat 6.2.
> Any pointer at what factors in RedHat 6.2 make it
> more difficult than RedHat 6.1 for HylaFax.
>
> Thanks,
> -- sudhir
>
> "M. Wray" wrote:
>
> > First:
> >
> > It is not recommended to run hylafax on RedHat 6.2, it can be done, but
> > requires a lot more setup time.  I recommend using RedHat 6.1
> >
> > Second:  For your Server, I recommend a Dell Poweredge 2400, with 30G Scsi HD,
> > 1 Gig of RAM,and some ROCKETPORT Multi-Port Serial Cards with FAXMODEMS on
> > them.  You would also need some sort of MUX to split out the PRI.  ParaDyne is
> > a good Brand.   I think that there is a 24Port RocketPort Serial Card.
> >
> > Third:  You probably will not succeed in sending out 1000 faxes in that short
> > of a period of time, but will probably come close.  Since it is highly probably
> > that with that many faxes outgoing at the same time, you will have a higher
> > percentage rate of failure.  (Not due to the software, but rather human errors
> > on the other end once you get all the bugs kinked out of your setup.)
> >

> > Michael E. Wray                 WEB: http://www.micahtek.com
> > Network Administrator           Email: Michael.Wray@micahtek.com
> > MicahTek, Inc.                  Phone: (918)877-3300
> > 8215 S. Elm Pl.                 Fax:   (918)877-3301
> > Broken Arrow, OK 74011

 This message is confidential, intended for the named recipient(s)
above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work
product or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have
received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s),
please immediately notify the sender at (918) 877-3300 and delete
this e-mail message from your computer.  Thank you.