Downgrade to libtiff3.4

Hello,
I would like to ask the hylafax list the following about downgrading the libtiff of a linux system.

I have RedHat6.2, and have two links in /usr/lib/ like
               libtiff.so
               libtiff.so.3
these links were pointing at the begining to: /usr/kib/libtiff.so.3.5
 I have change these links to point to: /usr/kib/libtiff.so.3.4

I am wondering if this is the right way to downgrade to libtiff3.4,
or if instead I am far way the right solution ;)

Any comment will be apreciated.

Thanks

Victor