localhost: unknown host

There's bound to be a few questions come up about this in the recent
future, so I'll say this now.  It's an obvious answer to an obvious
problem, but it was confusing because...

I'm using a RedHat 6.1 system.  HylaFAX was working fine (sending and
receiving). I updated various packages from RedHat (namely: piranha, krb5,
netscape, mutt, and samba) yesterday.  After updating these packages
HylaFAX would receive, but wouldn't send.  faxstat and faxsend would give
error messages like: 'localhost: unknown host'  I had encountered this
problem before when I altered the /etc/hosts file, and fixed it before by
undoing what I had done (so I knew where to look, already).  I fixed this
problem now by adding localhost as an alias to localhost.localdomain.  I'm
still not sure what caused the problem.

My /etc/hosts file that had been working before the updates:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain    server
209.197.23.235  server.deanox.com

My /etc/hosts file that I now use after the updates:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain    localhost server
209.197.23.235  server.deanox.com

Anybody have any ideas on what package caused the difference?

Lee Howard