New Installation Problems

I have a newly installed HylaFax (why are we still calling it FlexFax on
this mailing list??) that doesn't work.

The probemodem command works fine and runs through all the class 1 and
class 2 tests.

I can run the faxq scheduler, and the hfaxd runs in inetd.

The faxq scheduler returns an error to /var/log/message that says:

Missing ':' separator in modem class specification

By the way, I'm running FreeBSD 3.4 STABLE.

My modem works fine, its on COM2, device, cuaa1 or /dev/modem

As I said, I'm using FreeBSD and the version of Hylafax I have installed is
a PORT downloaded from the ports collection, so patches have been applied.

I'm using Sendmail as my mailer and i've modified the sendmail.cf properly.
I've tested that part and it works fine.  The problem lies within the faxq
portion of the program.

When I type faxstat I get: "HylaFAX scheduler on localhost: Running"

I've examined the /var/spool/fax heirarchy and I can't find any log files
at all to tell me what is happening.

I have some questions that I can't figure out:

In /var/spool/fax/etc there are 2 config files:

there is "config" and "config.cuaa1"

Are both needed?  Are both used?

So basically I need to know -

1) are there any manual tests I can do to see what's wrong
2) why are there no log files -- can I specify the log files in the config
files?
3) are those 2 config files needed?  and if so, do mine look correct?

Also, it'd be good to state that all I'm using this for is mail->fax
gateway.  I'm not receiving faxes.

I've checked my dialrules file and it looks ok.  My hosts file looks ok as
well.

Here are pastes of both of those config files:

/var/spool/fax/config:
LogFacility:            daemon
CountryCode:            1
AreaCode:               905
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    011
DialStringRules:        "etc/dialrules"
ServerTracing:          1
ModemClass:             Class2

/var/spool/fax/config.cuaa1
CountryCode:            1
AreaCode:               905
FAXNumber:              +1.905.308.9519
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    011
DialStringRules:        "etc/dialrules"
ServerTracing:          1
SessionTracing:         11
RecvFileMode:           0600
LogFileMode:            0600
DeviceMode:             0660
RingsBeforeAnswer:      0
SpeakerVolume:          off
GettyArgs:              "std.%s"
LocalIdentifier:        "2Gen.Inc.  www.2gen.net"
TagLineFont:            etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:          "From %%l|%c|Page %%p of %%t"
MaxRecvPages:           25
#
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:              Class2          # use class 1 interface
ModemClass:             Class2
ModemRate:              38400           # locked for fax sending&receiving
ModemFlowControl:       rtscts          # default
#
ModemNoFlowCmd:         AT&K0           # disable flow control cmd
ModemSoftFlowCmd:       AT&K4           # software flow control cmd
ModemHardFlowCmd:       AT&K3           # hardware flow control cmd
ModemSetupDTRCmd:       AT&D3           # DTR off causes modem to reset
ModemSetupDCDCmd:       AT&C1           # DCD follows carrier
ModemSetupAACmd:        AT+FAA=1        # enable adaptive-answer in Class 2
#
ModemRecvFillOrder:     MSB2LSB         # bit order of received facsimile
ModemSendFillOrder:     LSB2MSB         # bit order modem expects for transmit
#
ModemDialCmd:           ATDT%s          # T for tone dialing
#
# Chip locks the line rate and switches to xon/xoff flow
# control when receiving facsimile--we must follow suit.
#
ModemAnswerFaxBeginCmd: "<19200><xon>"  # lock line rate & switch flow control
#
Class2RecvDataTrigger:  "\022"          # character sent to modem to start
recv

Michael DeMutis
System's Administrator
2GEN.Inc.
email: mike@2gen.net   website: http://www.2gen.net/
Phone: 905-308-9155   Fax: 905-308-9519   ICQ UIN: 1257176
"Merging Media & Idea To Bring Internet Exposure to Innovative Businesses"