Re: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: i want your opinions, please!

Hi,

> BTW, I've found free (?) tiff printer driver:
>
> http://www.faxaway.com/user_guide/tiffconvert.html
>
> and tried to create TIFF on the cient side and then supply it to
> Hylafax via WHFC. The quality of rasterizing is excellent (cannot even be
> compared to Ghostscript). But this driver is far from ideal though :-((
>
> - it cannot directly work with your port monitor, because requires printer
> port named "FAX:" or "TEXT:". Can port monitor's default "WHFCFAX:" be
> changed?
> - it cannot work under WinNT
> - It thinks Normal and Fine resolutitons are 200x100 and 200x200 pels
> respectively (not 204x98 and 204x196). This forces Hylafax to resize every
> bitmap via tif2ps | ps2fax. Necessary user resolution 204x196 can be set
> though.

Uhm... I have been looking (just looking, so far, I have a thesis to write
:( ) at a TIFF printer driver. In fact, I don't think it's really that
hard, because the Win98DDK is freely downloadable (don't have the URL
tho... Check out microsofts website), and there is even support for TIFF
compression in the windows unidrv.dll... I checked it out, it has a
program that lets you cook up drivers real fast, but I don't have time.
I was hoping to work on it in the summer...
I think the drivers are even winnt compatible, but I could be wrong.

Wout.