Re: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: i want your opinions, please!

Ulrich Eckhardt <Ulrich.Eckhardt@transcom.de> writes:

> > > Probably here we should do it on the HylaFAX side, so that HylaFAX
> > > stores all as tiff. This would help on other Clients like WHFC too.
> >
> > As I explained to Bernd, Hylafax already can handle TIFF files
> > transparently. Just submit TIFF to the server instead of Postscript. It
> > will be even automatically reencoded if compression method/resolution
> > differ from expected values.
> >
> > BTW, I think using TIFF printer driver on Windows should preferable choice,
> > because Ghostscript's rasterization quality for "Normal" resolution is not
> > acceptable. Can WHFC work with such driver?
> >
> > Hope to hear from you soon,
> > Dmitry
> Hi,
>
> whfc itselve doesn't care about file formats.

Of course, sorry for the stupid question :-))

> I use a printmonitor,
> which fetches the output from any printerdriver. So if there is
> a tiff printerdriver available, just connect this driver to the
> portmonitor from WHFC.

BTW, I've found free (?) tiff printer driver:

http://www.faxaway.com/user_guide/tiffconvert.html

and tried to create TIFF on the cient side and then supply it to
Hylafax via WHFC. The quality of rasterizing is excellent (cannot even be
compared to Ghostscript). But this driver is far from ideal though :-((

- it cannot directly work with your port monitor, because requires printer
port named "FAX:" or "TEXT:". Can port monitor's default "WHFCFAX:" be
changed?
- it cannot work under WinNT
- It thinks Normal and Fine resolutitons are 200x100 and 200x200 pels
respectively (not 204x98 and 204x196). This forces Hylafax to resize every
bitmap via tif2ps | ps2fax. Necessary user resolution 204x196 can be set
though.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry