Re: TIFF driver was: RE: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: iwantyour opinions, please!

> > Also on the "drivers generating TIFF" front. I know that the driver
> > for jfax.com does just that: it creates a tiff file then calls your
> the creation of the driver seems to be realy difficult,
> this is what if found after a short usenet search. Probably therefore
> there is no free printer driver.
>
> There is supposed to be one on MSDN but i only found some class
> Descriptions.
> It is not clear for me if this is a complete driver (TIFF is explicitly
> named as one of other "languages") and how to compile/install it. I will
> not have the time to do this. Maybe some else has experience here?

I've already start working on a new HylaFAX (Windows) Client that will
contain a "real" printer driver that generates TIFF Files. So I can say
that you're right. Creating a real printer driver is somewhat
complicated and you need to install four different DDK (win95, win98.
winnt and win2k) to support all plattforms. And the sample you
mentioned in the DDK is far from complete. Currently we use a HP-PCL
Converter to print from windows applications with much better results
than using a postscript driver.

Note that this client we're working on is in early beta stage and is
only in german so far. We will upload a web site shortly (within this
week) at http://www.bugfax.com where one can get a first impression.

Mit freundlichem Gruss
Claas Hilbrecht

Linum Software GmbH