TIFF driver was: RE: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: iwantyour opinions, please!

> Also on the "drivers generating TIFF" front. I know that the driver for
> jfax.com does just that: it creates a tiff file then calls your e-mail
> software to send the resulting fax. The nice thing about it is
> that you can
> use your email program address book to store the fax numbers
> (they just are
> specific email addresses: <faxnum>@faxserver.address), so it does
> not limit
> you to using the J.Fax service...
>
> Of course whether you are allowed to use this driver without using the
> service or not is another question that I won't touch.
>

> I am really surprised that nobody did something like that in open source
> yet. This is by far the cleanest and simplest way to integrate a
> client with
> a fax server (i.e. generate a TIFF (or even PS) file, then send it as an
> attachement to the fax server with the fax number in the
> destination address
> and the text of the email as a cover page note).

the creation of the driver seems to be realy difficult,
this is what if found after a short usenet search. Probably therefore
there is no free printer driver.

There is supposed to be one on MSDN but i only found some class
Descriptions.
It is not clear for me if this is a complete driver (TIFF is explicitly
named
as one of other "languages") and how to compile/install it. I will not have
the
time to do this. Maybe some else has experience here?

Bernd