RE: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: i wantyour opinions, please!

Hi,

let me ask some more about the Mac:

> I'm not sure whether this will work for a Mac - but it would be nice if it
> did.  It certainly appears to be possible to generate a PostScript file
> easily enough from a customised print driver.
Will the print driver store the file in some defined location?
Can the print driver call another programm?
Is there a print driver that can create TIFF?

> Viewing multi-page
> TIFFs is a
> bit of a pain (graphic converter fails on 50% of files,
Maybe there are receiving errors in these files.
Search for "TIFF" and "Dmitry" and someting like error correction or ECM
in the archives and you will find at least on
post with an explananation of how to configure hylafax to have theses errors
removed
(or how to setup your modem to elimitate the errors)

> MacFlex
> works but is
> specific to fax etc).  There is a need for efficient output to
> pdf format (I
> tried using the available tools to convert the TIFF files but the quality
> was awful).
this is true for me also!

> The big problem for me with Hylafax - as a dabbler in programming - is the
> lack of a documented and easy to use interface to the Hylafax job
> scheduler.
What functionality should this interface offer?

> With a piece of intelligent middleware (Java or otherwise) that
> could submit
> jobs in a platform independent way I'm sure the variety of client
> implementations would increase significantly.
>   Iain
>

> on 4/5/00 6:44 pm, Bernd Proissl at news@proissl.de wrote:
>

> > 1. is java 2 widely availabe on your (client) platforms?
> > or is it supposed to become availbe in the near future?
> >
> No - development tools for Java 2 are proprietary and costly (last time I
> looked)
What about a runtime only environment?
No development, just the virtual machine to make apps running?

> > 2. What is your prefered procedure for sending a fax?
> >
> Printer driver or Email

Thanks for your input!

Bernd