Re: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: i wantyour opinions, please!

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this will work for a Mac - but it would be nice if it
did.  It certainly appears to be possible to generate a PostScript file
easily enough from a customised print driver.  Viewing multi-page TIFFs is a
bit of a pain (graphic converter fails on 50% of files, MacFlex works but is
specific to fax etc).  There is a need for efficient output to pdf format (I
tried using the available tools to convert the TIFF files but the quality
was awful).

The big problem for me with Hylafax - as a dabbler in programming - is the
lack of a documented and easy to use interface to the Hylafax job scheduler.
With a piece of intelligent middleware (Java or otherwise) that could submit
jobs in a platform independent way I'm sure the variety of client
implementations would increase significantly.

  Iain

on 4/5/00 6:44 pm, Bernd Proissl at news@proissl.de wrote:

> 1. is java 2 widely availabe on your (client) platforms?
> or is it supposed to become availbe in the near future?

No - development tools for Java 2 are proprietary and costly (last time I
looked)

> 2. What is your prefered procedure for sending a fax?

Printer driver or Email