Mandrake 7.0, faxaddmodem probe

- Mandrake 7.0
- hylafax-4.1beta1-1rh6 (i386.rpm)
- Multitech ZDX 56K

I installed the above "rpm" with no problems, no conflicts.
Executed faxsetup (OK), and then faxaddmodem failed when probing
the tty port:
[root@cygnus /root]# faxaddmodem ttyS0
Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 19200 9600 4800 2400 1200
Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the
correct device and/or that your modem is setup properly.  If
all else fails, try the -s option to lock the speed.

The modem *is* properly setup, I tested it before configuring HylaFAX
with both "minicom" and "cu". Example:
[root@cygnus root]# cu -l ttyS0
Connected.
at
OK
at+fclass=?
0,1,2,1.0

OK
~[cygnus].

Disconnected.

I also tried the -s option, and tested another (same model) modem.
Finally, I checked the faxaddmodem bash-script, but can't figure how
the SendString function works.

Just discovered the stty binary seems to have a slightly different syntax
from previous versions; I mean, it now includes a '-F' flag to specify the
device -instead of stdin.
Note: stty is part of the sh-utils package.

I've seen in the list that some users have successfully installed HylaFAX
on Mandrake 7.0, so I wonder if I'm missing something.
Maybe a shell-related issue? I use the GNU bash, version 2.03.

Any help would be appreciated.

Xavier Armengou
<armengou@fonocom.es>