RE: How stable is Hylafax 4.1 beta2 ?

> Hello!

> I installed Hylafax 4.1 beta2 because it is shipped with Suse Linux 6.3.
> First I wondered about the name "beta2", but some really good
> software will
> always stay "beta" and will never become "perfect" ;-)
>
> I want to use Hylafax in a very serious organisation (a notary office).
>
> Dmitry Bely told me about RTN problems with Hylafax and some fax-machines
> (Canon e.g.) what will make Hylafax send the page over and over again. He
> wrote a patch for this problem, but I do not find this patch at
> http://www.hylafax.org/patches/. After some searching I found it in the
> mailing archive: http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2000-03/msg00110.html.
this is not the most recent version!
there is a more recent version which fixes two more bugs.
definitely use the more recent version.
maybe it was only posted to the hylafax-devel and there seems to be no
archive for hylafax-devel list?
if you want i can mail you the patches.

> How serious is this problem ?
if you do mass faxing or "real" business faxing it is serious (at least for
me):
imaging you recipients watching their fax machines printing the same page of
your
fax multiple times and then ending up in an error. Some minutes later hylfax
tries to re-send the fax again, ...
if you run beta2 in class 1 with an USR Sportser you will be able to send
single page faxes to most machines, but if you send multi page faxes to
certain
machines (at least canon) you will also end up with RTNs!!
i just verified this last night.

> How stable is Hylafax 4.1 beta2 ?
i run it i a production environment, some thousands pages faxed the last
weeks
with beta2

have a look at the posix-rename patch, not included in beta 4.2

> Is it maybe better to use Hylafax 4.0 ?
no, afaik no.

> Is there a new binary planned with Dmitry Bely's patch ?
you can get prconfigure 4.1beta2 source from suses ftp.
tip: first install normal rpm of beta2, this will configure your
system, then install source rpm, apply dimitry's patches and
let it run. was no real problem for me
c++ compiler is not installed by suse-default (under 6.2)
link to srpm was posted to this list or search for suse faq from george
zeigler
there you will find the link to the standard rpm and not far away will be
the source rpm.

or get yourself a recommend modem,
currently i use an elsa microlink basic 56k in class 2.0 with config file
from elsa homepage. no real problems (plain beta2, no patches applied)
multitech should also be a good choice.