Re: How stable is Hylafax 4.1 beta2 ?

Hello!

> > I installed Hylafax 4.1 beta2 because it is shipped

> this is not the most recent version!

> there is a more recent version which fixes two more bugs.
> definitely use the more recent version.
> maybe it was only posted to the hylafax-devel and there seems to be no
> archive for hylafax-devel list?

I did not found an archive for the devel-list, but if I search in the normal
list I find sometimes devel-list articles. Maybe it would be good to put
this patch at http://www.hylafax.org/patches.

> if you want i can mail you the patches.
>
> > How serious is this problem ?
> if you do mass faxing or "real" business faxing it is serious (at least
for me):
> imaging you recipients watching their fax machines printing the same page
of your
> fax multiple times and then ending up in an error. Some minutes later
hylfax
> tries to re-send the fax again, ...
> if you run beta2 in class 1 with an USR Sportser you will be able to send
> single page faxes to most machines, but if you send multi page faxes to
certain
> machines (at least canon) you will also end up with RTNs!!
> i just verified this last night.

Is this only with a class 1 modem (I will use class 2 or 2.0), or are these
problems with all classes?

> > How stable is Hylafax 4.1 beta2 ?
> i run it i a production environment, some thousands pages faxed the last
> weeks with beta2

I cannot understand that you send some thousands pages if you get the
problems described above. Are the problems completely gone with this (very
new) patch?

> have a look at the posix-rename patch, not included in beta 4.2

I found this patch, I will take a look at it.

> > Is it maybe better to use Hylafax 4.0 ?
> no, afaik no.

> > Is there a new binary planned with Dmitry Bely's patch ?
> you can get prconfigure 4.1beta2 source from suses ftp.
> tip: first install normal rpm of beta2, this will configure your
> system, then install source rpm, apply dimitry's patches and
> let it run. was no real problem for me

Thanks for the info ;-)

> c++ compiler is not installed by suse-default (under 6.2)
> link to srpm was posted to this list or search for suse faq from george
zeigler
> there you will find the link to the standard rpm and not far away will be
> the source rpm.

The source is distributed on the Suse CD's.

> or get yourself a recommend modem,
> currently i use an elsa microlink basic 56k in class 2.0 with config file
> from elsa homepage. no real problems (plain beta2, no patches applied)
> multitech should also be a good choice.

At the moment I use a Zyxel U-1496E for testing purposes, maybe I will later
try some ISDN devices. I have a Zyxel 2864I here, but that works with only
one line over a serial port, I would like one with two lines (one to
dial-in, one for faxes), maybe the AVM Fritz! card what promises a Linux
capi 2.0 would be fine. But will Hylafax work with such a capi?

Bye,
Paul van der Vlis.