Re: Strange problem : modem capabilities not reported to fax machines

Andrea Albarelli <andrea@side7.it> writes:

> > > I have an Hylafax 4.1beta2 on Linux 2.2.14 with a Zyxel 2864i
> > > I forced in config.ttyS0 the capabilities of my modem with :
> > >
> > > Class2DCCQueryCmd:      "!(0-1),(0-5),(0-2),(0-2),(0-1),(0-1),(0),(0-7)"
> > >
> > > So far so good, please note the ECM ( error correction mode ) capability
> > > enabled.
> >
> > Zyxel Elite does *not* support ECM in Class 2.0 (as well as U1496). Why did
> > you decide it had to? You could "enable" ECM only if you wrote new firmware
> > :-) BTW, I recommend you not to change parameters, whose meaning is not
> > clear enough for you.
>
> thanks, thanks, thanks, i thought i would be stuck forever :-)
> Does it support ECM in class 2 ?

Nope.

I even know no modem of any brand which supports ECM in Class
2/2.0. It's usually implemented by software in Class 1, but again, Hylafax
itself lacks Class 1 ECM support.

> What are the disavantages of running in class 2 ?
> Why it does support it in sending faxes ?

There is no any advantage (but Class 2.0 standard is more accurate and
stable).

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry