Re: Slackware 7.0 and hylafax-v4-0pl2

Hoo Kok Mun <hkmun@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am using the above package and I am having problem compiling and running

I do not think v4.0pl2 will compile on Slackware 7.0 - I know it struggles
with RedHat 5.0 and later. Please try the v4.1beta2 source available at:

ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/pub/hylafax/hylafax-4.1/

Download and untar it; ensure you have the tiff 3.4 programs and note where
they are, note where your ghostscript is keep, then...

> 1) ./configure
> 2) make
> 3) make install

as root.

If installed in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin (the defaults), you may
want to add these directories to your path - in /etc/profile or /etc/bashrc
for instance.

> I have to make the "/usr/lib/ghostscript" and
"/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts"
> manually for this to complete

I do not know what this means, but it doesn't seem correct.

Check which serial port your modem is connected to, switch it on (but it
doesn't have to be plugged into the telephone line) and run....
> 4) faxsetup

Follow instructions; faxsetup will automatically call faxaddmodem which
will ask you some similar questions.

>....(it says that sendfax was not in /usr/local/bin directory)
>
> I checked and the /usr/local/bin directory was empty.

I guess that the make or make install failed.

> Steps 1-3 ran pretty fast and I presume it's okay.

I am almost certain that make or make install failed. It takes 5 to
10 minutes for my average PC box.

> Where can I check the install log and verify it?

There's a configure.log. You can run make as 'make > make.log 2>&1'
and on another VC run 'tail -f make.log' to watch it (This is useful
if you want to copy the error messages to an email)

> I also read on some FAQ that I need to do the following in order to run
> faxsetup.
> ln -vs /usr/bin/sed /bin/sed
> ln -vs /bin/mkfifo /usr/bin/mkfifo
> ln -vs /usr/bin/gawk /usr/bin/mawk

I recognize that writing :-)  That advice was for a binary version of
HylaFAX put together by Matthew Rice a few years ago. It is not required
now.

> What I wish to accomplish is for my Win9x workstations be able to use the
> fax server (hylafax) and I will be using whfc-1.05 as the win client.

That's exactly how I use it, and its great! (Both HylaFAX and Whfc).

Keep trying, it is worth it.
Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Leicester, UK.