Modem missing in faxstat

Hi,

I am new to this list but have checked through the archives and FAQ and
have not found an answer to this question.

I have a Toshiba Tecra with builtin modem running SuSE 6.1 and HylaFax
4.0pl2 (installed from SuSE RPM).  Running faxsetup works fine, as does
faxaddmodem.  My modem is correctly detected as a 38k Class 1 modem.  I
have followed the various pieces of advice about SuSE installations and
as a result have overcome the login permissions problem often cites.  Now
my problem is this:

My modem doesn't come up!  faxstat tells me the server is running but
fails to list any modems.  I use /dev/modem as my modem tty.  I have a
FIFO.modem and a config file in /var/spool/fax/etc.  /var/spool/fax/status
is empty (which I guess is why faxstat doesn't report anything) and
nothing comes up in the /var/spool/fax/log directory.  Nor does anything
untoward get reported by syslog.  sendfax gives no errors but nothing gets
sent.  faxrm hangs until I manually kill the fax sendmail process, after
which the queued job gets removed correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?

I haven't tried a different version of Hylafax nor have I tried building
from the sources.  I guess that's the next step.  I have the same version
almost working on a Dell Inspiron with a 3Com modem but that's another
story - I'll post *that* problem in another message...

Oh, I have run faxmodem, restarted hylafax, rebooted, etc.

Thanks!

- Matthew Baker

--
Dr. Matthew Baker           matthew.baker@gmd.de