Deleting old log files

HylaFAX version: 4.0pl2-3rh5 (RPM)

(Please, do not reply with "you should do it locally"!)

Because of our application, we need to control the deleting and parsing of
doneq, log, etc. files remotely.  So far we have had no success in deleting
files in the log directory.  We have gone through the official scripts
(faxqclean, faxcron, etc.) and imitated their functionality remotely (via
the FTP-type protocol) but are unable to get permissions to the log
directory.

Is there a permissions issue we're missing?  Is it even permitted to
remotely delete log files (or do we have to edit the source :-) ?)

Thank-you.