Re: HylaFax HOW-TO for SuSE people

George Zeigler wrote:

> kill -1 1
> or
> kill -HUP 1
>
> does not seem to kill the HylaFax process.  Is there some single command that
> will kill HylaFax and faxgetty, without having to do ps and such to find the
> process id?  Trying to make it simple as possible.

Let me take a crack at it; though I don't use SUSE specifically, this
should be universal:

I don't think there's a single command, since faxgetty is typically
controlled by inittab and the other daemons by the rc.d scripts.

The proper way to take faxgetty down would be:

Edit /etc/inittab to change faxgetty's state to "off", e.g.,

S1:23:off:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1

# telinit Q

and to bring it up:

Edit /etc/inittab to change faxgetty's state to "respawn", e.g.,

S1:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1

# telinit Q