Elsa Microlink 56 basic not responding...

Hi folks,

here is what i know:

-ELSA Microlink 56k basic (Firmware 1.10 [the newest]) on ttyS0
-Hylafax 4.0beta023 on PC
-SuSE 6.3
-no mgetty installed

-the modem works fine with minicom

here is a part of my /var/log/messages

Feb  2 17:10:26 star FaxGetty[22107]: MODEM set DTR ON
Feb  2 17:10:26 star FaxGetty[22107]: MODEM set baud rate: 38400 baud, input flow RTS/CTS, output flow RTS/CTS
Feb  2 17:10:26 star FaxGetty[22107]: MODEM flush i/o
Feb  2 17:10:26 star FaxGetty[22107]: <-- [16:ATX0E0V1Q0S0=0H\r]
Feb  2 17:10:31 star FaxGetty[22107]: MODEM TIMEOUT: reading line from modem
Feb  2 17:10:31 star FaxGetty[22107]: MODEM <Timeout>
Feb  2 17:10:31 star FaxGetty[22107]: MODEM set DTR OFF

As you may see, the modem is just not responding.

I tried a lot of changes in the init-string, but never got further than this.
I also used the config.ttyS0 from the Elsa-Homepage, no success !

I also tried with faxmodem ttyS0 instead of faxgetty: same problem

When I start faxaddmodem (or probemodem) i get something like this:

Now we are going to probe the tty port to figure out the type
of modem that is attached.  This takes a few seconds, so be patient.
Note that if you do not have the modem cabled to the port, or the
modem is turned off, this may hang (just go and cable up the modem
or turn it on, or whatever).

Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 19200 9600 4800 2400 1200
Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the
correct device and/or that your modem is setup properly.  If
all else fails, try the -s option to lock the speed.

or with probemodem -s ttyS0:

Hmm, there does not appear to be an fuser command on your machine.
This means that I am unable to insure that all processes using the
modem have been killed.  I will keep going, but beware that you may
have competition for the modem.

Now we are going to probe the tty port.  This takes a few seconds,
so be patient.  Note that if you do not have the modem cabled to
the port, or the modem is turned off, this may hang (just go and
cable up the modem or turn it on, or whatever).

Using user-specified 38400 to talk to modem.
[1]+  Terminated              ( trap 0 1 2 15; while true; do
    sleep 10; echo ""; echo "Hmm, something seems to be hung, check your modem eh?";
done )

There was no response from the modem.  Perhaps the modem is
turned off or the cable between the modem and host is not
connected.  Please check the modem and hit a carriage return
when you are ready to try again:
But the Modem is connected and works !

I tried it with a Windows-System and there were no problems !

If anyone knows, where the problem is, I would really appreciate
the help.

This is driving me crazy for three days, now.

Lars.

eCONNEX AG i.G.
Lars Pohlmann
Beseler Allee 67 - 24105 Kiel