Re: [USR 56K] Windows & Linux

Check out

http://www.hylafax.org/modems.html

for a list of user-tested modems, and also check out

http://www.trump.net.au/~rjc/hylafax/usr.html

for some tips on getting the USR modems to work better.  As I've said
before on this list, I couldn't get my USR Sportster 56K to work as well
as I wanted it to (of course, YMMV), and went with a Multi-Tech
MT2834ZDX based on the list above.  There were many other modems that I
could have chosen based on that list, that most likely would have worked
just as well as the MT.  I really just wanted a rock solid modem (which
I now have).

I don't believe that there is any inherent problem with HylaFax or Linux
-- I think the problem has more to do with modems (such as the USR) that
have crappy firmware, or don't support whatever protocols they say they
support as well as they should.

--kip